At the heart of Glenprosen, one of the renowned ‘Glens of Angus’, lies the Balnaboth Estate on the edge of the Cairngorms National Park; 6,000 peaceful and secluded acres surrounding 16th-century Balnaboth House. In its midst, these six characterful holiday cottages each offer a unique and magical holiday retreat; indeed the creator of Peter Pan himself (Sir James Barrie) was born in nearby Kirriemuir and holidayed here.
These cottages were once occupied by shepherds, gardeners or other staff of the Ogilvy family when this was a traditional Victorian sporting estate. Red squirrels play in the trees, otters frequent the burns, and deer graze all around. Because of the varied scenery, that varies from beech woods to forest, pasture to heather moor, mountain streams to river pools, the area enjoys a spectacular range of wildlife, including species largely extinct elsewhere in Britain, such as black game and ptarmigan.
Magnificent walking, bird-watching, mountain biking and (in season) cross-country skiing abound on the estate and, further afield, downhill skiing at Glen Shee (25 miles). Fishing is available on a 5-mile stretch of the River Prosen, and there are twenty golf courses within an hours’ drive.
Enjoy the seclusion of this beautiful glen - peaceful, relaxing, scenic - yet just a few minutes’ drive from bustling market towns and busy fishing harbours which hug the Angus coastline, as well as from the city of Dundee which offers many attractions for all the family. The exciting Dundee Contemporary Arts is a stunningly-designed centre which incorporates galleries, a print studio and two art-cinema screens, while the Mills Observatory is Britain’s only full-time public observatory with a resident astronomer.
Good road, rail and air access to Angus provide easy access from all parts of the UK or international destinations. Shop 9-10 miles.
- Multi-fuel stove – fuel at cost
- Electricity rads and partial NSH by meter reading
- TV (no reception)
- Balcony with furniture
- Unsuitable for the infirm
- Electricity by meter reading
- Bed linen included
- Towels £3 per person per week
- Travel cot
- High chair
- Small shared sauna available at Balnaboth House (£15 per hour)
- Grounds of 6,000 acres
- River fishing on a 5-mile stretch: trout foc, salmon £15 per day/£75per week (16 February to 5 September); £30 per day/£130per week (10 September to 31 October)
- Grazing and stabling for visitors’ horses by arrangement
- Natural spring water supply
- No smoking
- NB: River and pond in grounds