Confirmed guest, 2015-06-26
The property is very attractive with excellent accommodation and is in a stunning location with wonderful views. Many things were, however, defective and sadly maintenance has not been to a good standard which devalued the experience. In addition the agent or owner did not respond in a timely fashion to requests for help on two occasions.
One issue which caused a problem was the smoke alarm. This was surprisingly triggered by cooking in the kitchen even though the windows and doors were open on a hot day. We were unable to stop the alarms sounding throughout the Oast despite first resetting the button on the kitchen alarm and when that did not work removing it from the kitchen ceiling. Several other alarms on the ceilings throughout the property are inaccessible and they sounded continuously. There was nothing in the house notes to say what should be done. The owner did not answer his phone when we called for help and advice. In the event, he did phone back the following day, to say that we should have switched the electricity mains power supply to the entire property off in order to silence the alarm.
it would be helpful if the keys in the property were labelled, especially in the event of an emergency, so that the correct ones could be found quickly.
On our last evening at the property the main water supply became contaminated and brown water was issuing from all the taps/toilets. We were unable to use the showers or consume any water. As we were packing to leave the next day the discolouration of the water reduced but it was still not usable.
In the main bedroom, the shower/bath control came away from the wall when being used. One wardrobe was full of clothes and lots of dog hair was evident in the room.
In the yellow bedroom, the slats under the mattress gave way several times in an alarming fashion. This was clearly not a new problem as previously broken slats were stored in the hanging space. This hanging space was also blocked off by stored Z beds, which meant there was no usable wardrobe. The toilet was fitted with a seat that was both too small for the toilet and not secured properly. The bathroom floor tiles had extensive cracks as if there was subsidence. The bedroom flooring near the bathroom door had considerable movement and squeaking. A bedside lamp could not be connected because it had a non UK two pin electric plug unsuitable for the 13 amp socket. The lamp shade had two of the three suports broken.
In the blue bedroom there was a bad smell of damp. There were water stains on a doorframe, and onto the carpet. In the bathroom, not only were the floor tiles cracked, but they were mouldy by the shower. The wardrobe drawer was full of clothes.
We had to hunt for missing parts and search for tools to repair the stairgates before they were just about useable with some bits still missing. In the hallway, lots of broken picture frames were stuffed into a space by the main bedroom door, rather than being tidied away in a cupboard.
In the kitchen, the water chiller in the fridge was black with mould, and unusable. The electric socket behind the tumble drier was hanging off the wall. Many cupboards were full of food, which meant there was little space for our groceries. There was no clear distinction on what belonged to the owner and what had been left by previous tenants and may be either consumed or disposed of to clear the space. This also applied to the fridge and freezer which both had lots of items stored. Our telephone enquiry about this was not answered. An empty cupboard had to be cleaned out before it could be used. The top drawer under the sink was wet inside, and all the drawers were in such a state that we had to empty, clean and sort out.
There were two small teapots, with only one lid - hardly big enough for a party of 8/10. Again, the toaster only took two slices of bread. Many glasses and chinaware had chips in them. A metal colander had the handle missing exposing a sharp metal edge which could cause injury.
The balcony to the rear of the Oast has upright wooden spindles some of which are insecure and bodge repaired by gaffer tape. This could be dangerous, especially with young children in the property. The wooden furniture at the bottom of the garden was falling apart, and again could be hazardous.
We were a bit wary about the neighbour's four dogs which occasionally roamed past the property without leads or muzzles, especially as we had young children in the party.
In summary, a potentially lovely property which is let down by broken items, shoddy maintenance and inadequate cleaning. Customer service back up response to serious enquiries was at best poor. We were told that the owner did not return our calls for four days as he had lost his phone!